"Knowing the Score, Vol. 2 - A Supplement" is now available! Order by Feb. 28, 2015, to receive the special introductory price of $25.
Performing the Score
Five years after the appearance of his widely acclaimed video Knowing the Score, pianist Malcolm Bilson now teams up with violinist Elizabeth Field to consider the realization of these notations, especially in regard to works involving more than a single instrument.
This new DVD, Performing the Score, features:
- A presentation on early pianos and their music
- An examination of the baroque violin
- A discussion of various performance problems in Mozart's Sonata in Bb, K. 378, first movement
- A performance of Mozart's Sonata in Bb, K. 378, first movement
- A discussion and performance of Schumann's Sonata in A Minor, op. 105, first movement (with guests Nicholas DiEugenio, violinist, and pianists Chi-Chen Wu on an 1824 Conrad Graf and Nathan Hess on a Steinway Model D)
- An interview featuring Sir Nicholas Kenyon, director of the Barbican Centre, London, with fortepianist Kristian Bezuidenhout, on “Early Instrument Performances in the Context of Today's Concert and Recording World”
- Sound examples of six pre-Steinway pianos